This red long fur vest was sewn from a free Burda pattern.
Ok, so the alibi was that the vest was suppose to be part of a costume : the Haradrim Witch … But, once the vest finished, I decided that it wasn’t appropriate. Anyway, as I just wanted a red fur vest and was looking for a “cover up” reason, the fact that it didn’t suit the costume was no biggie.
Now that it’s finished, I’ll definitely wear it in my every day life. Probably with a dress and boots or a slim and boots.
This is a free pattern from Burda.
It’s downloadable HERE after registering for free. I tried to find it on the BurdaStyle web site, but it doesn’t appear to be offered there. So you’ll have to go through the EU website. Instructions are in French and German, with illustrations.
The pattern is available in French sizes 34 to 44. I sewed size 42 (chosen according to my bust measurement) … It was too large … See “Adjustments”.
The long vest closes with 3 Fur Hooks & Eyes. The short version (supplied in the same pattern) uses toggle closures.
The pattern consists of a half back, a half front with collar attached and a piece of half collar.
To cut this pattern in fur (which is to say through a single layer) I advise you to print each piece twice :
– Cut the front left and front right as a mirror image.
– Assemble the two half backs and cut through the single layer of fur as one complete back piece.
– Assemble the two half-collars and do the same as for the back.
For more details on how to sew fur, see this article: sewing fake fur.
Fur: it is the same fur used for Petite Chérie’s shepherd vest.
A faux fur with long hair is suggested by Burda to make this vest, but I fell for this shorter hair “rippled” red fur. It is 100% synthetic, super soft and was purchased from the l’Etoffe des héros.
Lining: It is an Indian printed cotton with a red and black paisley pattern, purchased in a “Nalli Silk Saree ” shop, in Delhi.
– I shortened the bust, as in 90% of the time when I sew for myself. I had to shorten it by a good 4 cm (= 1.5 inches).
Of course, it shortened the total length of the vest by 4 cm. I decided not to add the 4 cm at the hem because
I am really lazy the vest length was just fine that way.
– After sewing everything (only the hem remained to be done) it was clear that the vest was too big! So I took the side seams in, using 3 cm seam allowances instead of 1.5 cm … That way I removed 6 cm (over 2 inches) of ease. It is much better and I can still wear a sweater underneath.